Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Workout Schedule

This is the training schedule I'm planning to follow. I was doing some research about beginners and half marathons, and I stumbled across this little beauty. By chance it was on Monday, I had run 3 miles already that day, and it ends on the exact day of my race! Week 10 on Saturday will be the big day, so I'm putting this chart to the test! 
I looked at a ton of training schedules before I found this one. Some said to do cross training one day a week on Wed or Thur, which I found interesting. My dad has a bike out in the shed that is like new and just dying for someone to use it; maybe I could work that in to this plan. 
Another thing I saw were charts that listed the runs in min vs. miles ("Mon: 25 min run, Wed 35 min run, etc). I figure since it's my first race, I'm more interested in finishing it, (the miles) than what my final time ends up being. Whatever time I get for this race will give me something to aim for on the next one! 
So this is my guide. Obviously I don't think I have to follow this religiously; if I want to make a few changes here or there, or change plans completely half way through, I think that will be fine... 

*Here's a question for my runner friends: Can I still do regular strength workouts? I'm 2 weeks into P90X, and I don't want to stop that training, and I haven't read anything so far about doing any extra workouts after your runs, so I'm not sure what to do! Do I only train for this half marathon by running? Can I continue to do the P90X workouts after my runs like I've been doing? If I keep doing the P90X, should I not do it on my rest days, or should I just refrain from running on those days? 


2 comments:

  1. I think you can substitute a P90X workout for cross or strength training, but I wouldn't recommend doing P90X in addition to your running schedule. I think it's way too intense of a training program, and it will just increase your risk of injury.

    However, I don't think it's too much to add some (maybe 20 minute, low weight, high rep) strength work after your shorter runs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a feeling that was the case. Even the easiest version of the P90X is tough! Thanks for getting back to me! :)

    ReplyDelete